-12mm socket or combination wrench
-6mm Allen driver
-tie rod removal specific tools
-15mm socket
-17mm combination wrench
-19mm combination wrench
-penetrating fluid (e.g. PB Blaster)
-2 quarts Power Steering Fluid or Transmission Fluid
-blue threadlocking fluid (e.g. Loctite)
-patience

You may choose to remove the driver's front wheel for ease of removal/installation during this procedure. Loosening the lug bolts before putting the car up on jack stands will make this easier.

Start with the front two wheels off the ground, on jack stands. The wheels don't need to be very high, just enough so that they can move freely and you have room to work underneath the vehicle.

Remove the drag link and driver's side tie rod from the pitman arm. (Steering linkage R&R DIY found here PeachPartsWiki: Steering Rebuild)

If you cannot remove these items from the Pitman arm, stop and reconsider replacing the steering box at this point. Do not under any circumstances reinstall a drag link or tie rod which you have damaged by removing. Consider buying new steering linkage parts and then reattempt this job.

If you have successfully removed the steering linkage, push them out of the way so you have room to work.

This is your power steering fluid reservoir. Unscrew the retainer, which may be a wingnut or a rubber-gripped fastener. Remove the cover and set aside.

Now you have two options on draining the box. I'll explain both options.

I like to use a small diameter nozzle turkey baster device to suck the power steering fluid from the reservoir. The tool I use fits inside the holes seen below in the power steering fluid filter and is able to remove 100% from the reservoir. I then remove the box and drain a minimal amount of fluid from it afterward. (The reservoir is where most of the fluid in the system is) This is what the reservoir looks like after you've drained it.

If you choose to drain the fluid from the steering box (and the reservoir at the same time), get a catch pan ready and remove the drain plug in the picture near the pitman arm shaft. The bolt is 12mm (yes, it's an odd size). You'll have to turn the steering wheel to one side or the other to get the box to drain. It will not drain in a centered position. (And don't worry if the wheel is off center at this point)

Last edited by martureo; 01-05-2014 at 06:45 PM.