View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65aircooled View Post
Agreed, CF is just a guide to use as a starting point. I do not solely rely on CF to make a purchase but it is a good start IMO.
Good to hear you are using the reports as a jumping off point and looking at the actual car.

Quote:
As far as accidents go, I think a lot can be hidden, true and that some claims may deter potential buyers. I went to see a very nice 99 w210 that i really wanted, I asked the owner numerous times about accidents and he was always evasive about it. When I got the CF, the car showed to have been totaled and repaired to a clean title. That's when I think a CF is handy. i would never buy a totaled car I don''t care how good it was repaired, but that is just me.
A good pre purchase inspection will uncover _all_ previous body repairs worth any mention, there are always subtle signs if one knows where to look. Also, signs of previous repairs does not equate shoddy repairs.

Insurance companies make the total / repair decision on repair costs so don't put a blanket statement that you would never buy a total. If a car was 1 year old, the threshold of repairs is much higher than an older car. So, 2 cars with the same damage , same repairs, one is tagged as good title and the other "total" only because they were repaired at different times.

I've seen older cars that would _still pass state safety inspection_ totaled by the insurance company because cost of repairs exceeded the cars value. ( A then 20 year old full size Pontiac in very nice retired guy condition that had a parking lot scrape in the quarter panel. )

Quote:
I too wouldn't let a fender bender stop me from buying an otherwise good car.

Good to hear you are being realistic, however a fender bender on an older car could trigger a total title brand.