View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
The W201 FSM is available on startek for free now

The steering chapter (46) is here =>

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/11832/Resources/201Create/PDF/10011.pdf

No mention of the alloy casing though...

...I'm going to have to bend the ear of the head mechanic at the dealer - or perhaps get access to WIS...
Gotcha. I think I may have missed it when I checked earlier.
Quote:
...as for the adjustment.

I found it tricky on both the W123 steering box and the W201 steering box to adjust.

You tighten the screw in an anti-clockwise direction and check the torque as you turn the input shaft through its central position. If you over tighten it and then nudge it back a bit it seems to loose its place. It is weird - you would think oh sheet just turn it back and it will be back to where it was - but it isn't. It like there's some form of hysteresis in there (or summit like that).

Strange.

To get back to where you were I think it is necessary to back off all of the tension in the adjusting system and start again.

So I advocate a policy of not messing with that little screw. I think nipping it up is likely to bugger it up...
Yes, there definitely is a bit of play. I think it's a bit of backlash/lash, so you're right. One would have to screw back in past the original point and then back out to reach a final adjustment.

However, since the boxes I adjust already have that tension in them a note of "only back out, do not tighten screw" would remove the possibility of error. Or something of that sort....

(I'm not sure if there's a European term for backlash/lash Backlash (engineering) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]