View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 01:40 AM

Funny I considered a drouge as well. Just was concerned about the drag and their probable need to go against prevailing winds no matter where they landed up in north America. This model was offered with optional dagger type board or alternative optional lee boards when I read about the model. Without one or the other I just suspected it might have been unworkable.

I want to add this just in case there is a reader that does not know what a drogue is as well. Basically a drag type device on the end of a rope. If a hull or hulls has enough presence in the water to reduce being blown sideways to a greater than lesser extent. You might gain steerage by the position the drag is placed on the boat. Usually except when running off before a bad storm you need one with quite a presence in the water.

This further may reduce speed making control of the boat almost if not impossible. It is simply anything that provides resistance to movement through the water. A plain rope of adequate length may be enough when running before a storm. Yet almost totally useless in weaker conditions. A form of small underwater parachute is highly resistant providing lots of drag. I felt the cat might have benifited from one of those to control the steering but at the same time acts as a brake too much to be practical. Also it must be strong to survive.

I also did not want to comment too much on multihulls versus single or mono hulls. It shows my age as I was active when the multihulls first started to make an appearance. Today it is almost beyond belief what is singlehandedly raced around the world. Sixty foot single relatively light wide hulls running at great speed. Plus the sailor has to get some sleep. Pushing the boat as hard as he can all the time. With my past sailing experiences including some storms to me it seems almost impossible what they actually do.

Last edited by barry12345; 01-19-2014 at 02:19 AM.