View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 AM

The numbers of slaughter dolphins is how many?

I think the reason people are disgusted is the simple fact that dolphins appear to be intelligent mammals and they are cute. Sharks fins being sliced off a live shark and the shark left to die did not gather attention nearly as quickly nor did it have the disgusting factor as sharks are not mammals nor are they cute. As a marine professional I don't like this dolphin kill, nor to I like the whale kills. Sea Shepard is universally disliked in the NGO world and is frequently a thorn in the side of all NGO's who are trying to improve bad practices of all humans which degrade our planet. SS torpedo'd a major environmental shark bill in Polynesia which took many years of work and planning because they wanted the lime light. They didn't get it and the bill went down in flames.

If you like the Federal govt coming into your community and telling you what to do, when to do it and how to do it then you can complain about the dolphin harvest. If you are in favor of smaller govt and local control then you have little grounds to stand on.

If you want to save ocean life and dolphins in general then stop the menhaden "fish oil" and "omega 3" industries. Menhaden (aka "bunker") are a food fish for nearly the entire oceanic life cycle of the east coast of the USA. The huge fleets which remove this base of the food pyramid end up causing far more damage to the ocean than a couple hundred or couple thousand dead dolphins.