View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxfrank View Post
I've done this job a few times on my 2.5 turbo. There was no need to remove the radiator...just the shroud. It's a bit easier on the 2.5, because it has a viscous fan clutch. But it shouldn't be too much harder for you.

Do you have the large allen socket to remove the rocker? You're going to need to apply a good deal of force, because it's in there with thread locker.
Well in fairness, the OP mentioned in his post just prior to yours an 87 300D so that's a 124 chassis, as it appears yours might also be. His has a 6 cylinder 603 and yours a 5 cylinder 602, they both use the same viscous clutch & fan setup, but in his situation there is the extra cylinder!

A 124 with a 603 has precious little room between the fan and the radiator, just barely enough for the Allen Head bolt on the fan clutch to back all its way out. I just measured my 87 still with the original aluminum fan and there is exactly 1 1/4" between the fan and the radiator.

I suspect with a 602 and the difference of that missing cylinder split fore and aft of the engine mounts yours probably has almost another 2" of room.

Later 124's came with the two piece shroud which makes things easier also.