View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM

early vs late 190e ???

hi all, i'm new here, located in ontario canada, looking to buy a 1984-1993 190e (5 speed) and trying to understand the differences between a mid 1980s car (2.3 liter 4 cylinder) and an early 1990s car (2.6 liter 6 cylinder).

i understand the early engines had a single row timing chain, which was replaced by a double row chain. and the 2.6 engine was more peppy without compromising gas mileage.

but are there any other reasons to prefer an early 2.3 car to a late 2.6 car, or vice versa?... for example, in regard to ease of DIY maintenance/repairs, electronic engine mgt (fuel/timing), suspension, wheel + tire size/bolt pattern/stance, brakes, steering, interior/seats/instrumentation, parts availability/price, factory rustproofing/galvanized metal, etc, etc.

where i live, 1987 and earlier model year cars are exempt from emissions testing.

i'm not really interested in the cosworth model, cause i understand 5th gear isn't an overdrive ratio.

i'm trying to avoid buying a particular model year 190e, and then wishing i had done a little more homework. thx for any help.