View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 06:05 PM

Another stalling m103. What could it possibly be?

Have read a lot of threads on similar issues.
Today my 1987 300E stalled several times. The following happens:
One small hick up (in lack of a better word, not native English) then another one 10 sec later. Then the rev counter goes bananas, up to 2000 then down to zero a few times and then the engine cuts. It will start again immediately as normal, but cuts at once.

This has happened a few times for the past 6 months but today it was worse and happened many times and I found out the following: letting the engine cool down it started and ran as normal until it reached normal temp between 80 and 90 (C). As soon as it was warm it stopped again with the above symptoms.

I have just replaced OVP and fuel pump relay. Distributor cap and rotor has run around 25000 km and does not look too bad.

I am pretty sure it has to do with ignition rather than fuel. Or maybe some electronic cutting the fuel.

So, probably the CPS, right? As I understand there's is one sensor in front, and this is probably the one giving signal to rev counter and ignition module? But then there is another one in the rear of the engine and I'm not sure what this one does.

Anyway, I will order distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, plug cables, and maybe both of these sensors tomorrow. Genuine parts - will cost a small fortune but then at least I can rule those out if the problem returns... Could it be something else? Occurring when the engine is warm only, cutting the engine as if turning the ignition key. Coil? Something else?

Hints, tips and general support is appreciated