View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Seabiscut is up and galloping again !

Just finished replacing the transmission and torque converter in my 87 300d. This was the first trans I've done in a Mercedes, getting the old one out took two full days on a lift, getting the new one in took 3 hours! While I had it all out I also replaced the flex discs and the driveshaft yoke bearing and bushing.

Couldn't get the exact same torque converter (the original was a 126 250 2302 xxxx, the one I was shipped was a 126 250 0905 xxxx). I looked them both over and they looked identical in size and shape. Now that I've driven it for a few hours it appears everything is ok.

I was able to get the exact same trans, a 722.317 from a fellow on this forum in Canada (can't remember his name at the moment, I'll post his name soon). The trans had been rebuilt by a Mercedes tech who recently passed away. His family was selling off his garage full of rebuilt parts (I also picked up a pair of rebuilt om603 injection pumps for my 300td's).

I started taking photos of the whole job, but as I started running into problems I stopped taking photos.. If anyone wants to see them, I can share them here.
1980 300TD names Chloie (now sadly gone)