View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Banned

I have one of those pictured Liqui Vehicle tilter, made in Germany, very heavy construction. Once someone has one they don't part with them easily!

For any serious underbody work they can only be beat by a full rotisserie, but a rotisserie is bigger, more complicated, and more expensive. I drain the fuel and the engine oil and coolant, tranny fluid, use a sheet of plastic under the brake fluid cap, and remove the battery. You can get away not doing all that if you're only tilting part of the way or a shorter time, but fluids will find a way to leak eventually.

For dealing with scraping wire brushing prior to welding anything on the underside having the work surface in front of you instead of above you is a real advantage in my experience. Of course the car's suspension has to be pretty solid because that's what it will be hanging from.

The actual screw lifting device is very solid and strong, I've welded a 17 mm nut to one of the drive shafts and can use socket chucked in me Hole Hawg to power it up and down. You power the lift up to just beyond where you want it and then place a couple of jack stands in place under the arcs then lower it a bit onto them. I use it on solid pavement or a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood so there is a solid surface for the arcs to rotate on.

There are a number of these type of devices sold in the European markets of varying degree's of quality, the original Liqui is the most robust one I've seen.