View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM

My nightmare has ended...drove home in my landcruiser last Saturday.
Still can't believe I have my fj40 back

It seemed to vibrate more then usual on the freeway, imagine the tires didn't appreciate sitting for nearly 2years.
Noticed an oil leak, valve cover gasket was replaced...will have to pull the skid-plate and investigate further.

Differences with this motor, over the old one?
Motor is from an 82 300D, so the turbo mounts lower then the previous (had to redo the exhaust).
Keeping the Original Mercedes Oil-Filter housing/system...no more spin-on remote-filter setup.
Max turbo boost is 8lbs...may bump to 10lbs as the previous.
the pyro is post turbo...where the old motor had the pyro at the rear cylinder.
Need to identify the new temperature ceiling.
I Also want to remove the EGR, have to see if the old parts work on the replacement motor.

Driving the fj40 around town yesterday, reminded me of how the sm465 manual transmission is sooooo not turbo friendly (especially with 35inch tires ).

I also noticed that the ALDA isn't hooked up, which was also the case in the previous motor.
I found that this wasn't very high altitude friendly, so I will prob. be hooking it back up.

I am also thinking of building a injector pop tester...maybe try rebuilding the injectors myself.

Regarding the old motor.
Other then a compression test (which recorded low), nothing else has been done.

I did pull the following parts before the shop sent to the scrap yard:
Intake/Exhaust/Turbo
Vacuum pump
Injector pump
Injector lines
Injectors

If I decide to add an inter-cooler, the later intake manifold seems to be a good way to go.