View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmalu View Post
I spent this evening searching on Google for Vacuum Pump rebuild Threads, for the Piston and the older Diaphragm type pumps.
Read threads from Peachparts, Benzworld, MBCA , a couple You tube Videos from MB Sauce, and one Forced Induction did.

There has been threads in the past of bypassing the engine driven Pumps because of the bearing possibly falling into the Timing chain and putting an end to the forward motion of the vehicle.

Electric Pumps have been discussed, not sure where that has gone.

I came across this one used on a Citroen and Peugeot.

Pompa vuoto depressore freni citroen Visa... a Messina - Kijiji

Add a pulley to it and a way to mount it to be run off one of the belts might solve the problems with the bearings falling into the engine.

Whadayathnk?

Charlie
I am very familiar with the Peugeot Pierburg vac pumps. They are diaphragm types with replaceable diaphragms (only non crimped ones) but that's about it. There's a small oil reservoir with an oil fill plug to lube the cam internals. What happens is the oil never gets changed or it runs dry or gunk up and the internals are destroyed (no rebuild parts available that I know of). I would stay away from any used ones. You are better off getting a belt driven pump from an US made truck like the early Ford 6.9, 7.3's where they are more readily available and probably cheaper. Still, adapting it would be a lot of work. I think electric is the way to go if you are concerned about vac pump grenading. There was a recent post from a forum member who's successfully done an electric vac pump conversion in an automatic by using separate check valves for the brakes and transmission. Or did he use 2 elec vac pumps?