View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 PM

I did a ton of research and testing on using electric vacuum pumps on Mercedes diesels, particularly the 617s with automatic transmission.

It turns out that the electric pumps (specifically the VW, Audi, Volvo, etc.) are undersized but would work as a vacuum source for brakes alone. The problem comes with the use of vacuum for door locks, and transmission. The transmission is the real deal killer. It constantly vents vacuum limited only by the orifice in the line to the vacuum modulator.

In pursuing an electrical solution, I went so far as to source a vacuum pump, build a bracket and build a micro-controller system to control the vacuum pump including adjustable hysteresis before abandoning the project due to the transmission vacuum modulator. This solution definitely works for manual transmission applications as evidenced by the number of people using then in EV retrofit projects.

I think the belt-driven mechanical pumps would be a suitable solution if a mounting location/bracket could be reasonably fabricated.
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica