View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem51392 View Post
Diesel911 so fuel use is linearly proportional to engine rotation? Is that what your saying? One rotation equals x amount of fuel use no matter the RPM's warm engine or cold, cranking or idling? That makes sense I guess, I always thought in order to start an engine you needed like a burst of extra fuel while cranking. So if this is true it would always be better to shut down and restart strictly from a fuel saving stand point?
What about a turbo charger? Do I even want to go down that road? lol
Sorry if I'm a diesel ignoramus, my knowledge is limited to what I've learned in the 9 month ownership of my car, 87' 300D.
Thanks
I am going to modify what I said a little. The Governor in the Fuel Injection Pump at idle does control the Fuel to some extent once the Engine is started.
Once started and let us say you had 30wt Oil in cold Weather the Governor will give a bit of extra Fuel to try to compensate for that because the Governor is to try to keep the idle speed at a specific speed.

My own though on saving Fuel is that if I left My Engine running thinking that I was only going to do something for 30 seconds something is going to happen once in a while and it is likely that the Engine is going to end up idling minutes instead of 30 seconds. And, of course that would screw up the Fuel economy.

On the other hand frequent shut off and start ups wears the Starter out faster.