View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
My graph would look worse than that as far as coverage. The company insurance costs more and pays out less, and the insurance company blames Obamacare. I always thought they used ACA as an excuse to make these cuts to fuel their own greed/agenda, but who knows. All I know is I'm worse off.

I had a tempurature nearing 105 about a month ago, regular doc told me to hit the ER right away. I was there less than 2 hours, billed $1600 for testing, IV fluids I didn't need, pain medication I didn't need, and some over the counter fever reducer. Testing came back with no answers, no flu or strep, just a virus. Doctor suggested I might be overdoing it/overstressed. Insurance paid a little over $600 of it, I'm billed the rest. Seems like a ridiculous bill... enough for me to avoid hospitals in the future, which could be a bad decision if its something that turns out serious.

5 years ago I went in for really nasty food poisoning, so dehydrated from vomiting my body was curling up, don't remember how much I had to pay, but it wasn't much.
fwiw you did yourself a huge favor by going to the ER. A 105 degree temp can become lethal or lead to permanent brain damage. I would not jump to the conclusion about what was needed in the circumstance unless you have a medical license.

You might want to look into a slightly more inclusive plan as the coverage may cover things like ER trips, more kinds of tests, meds, etc. I used to use a preferred provider plan and the amount of what included eroded steadily over time. I switched to a more spendy plan with a different provider and while it costs a little more, it more than pays for itself every time I need a doc or related facilities/testing. Many plans now are based around not ever really using medical facilities and other plans are designed to lower or eliminate costs when you accept you'll be using the resources.

I look at the choice as similar to that offered for a used car warranty. I've got a lot of miles on my odo and it is unavoidable that i'll have to visit from time to time; due to that it costs me less to buy a more inclusive service...