View Single Post
Old 01-26-2003, 04:30 PM
Regular User

Exclamation Cam timing mystery may be over

A little while ago I posted complaints about altered performance and strange noises after having my timing chain replaced in my 76 300D.
Finally after gathering information from this site and having the car looked at by a couple of mechanics, I may have found that the cam gear is off by one tooth. I had asked about cam timing before and the mechanic that did the job checked it and said it was 2 degrees advanced. I don't know what method he used but based on the knowledge of the people who have tried to help out on this site, I lined up the marks on the cam gear and bearing tower and read the marks on the balancer to my amazement finding them to read about 15 degrees BTDC.
I checked several times and made sure there was no slack in the chain on the side opposite the tensioner rail. The readings were about 14, 15 and 19. Apparently, one tooth alters the degrees by about 10 or 12.
Now, I think back and remember when the mechanic checked to see if we had missed a tooth (I watched to whole process) he didn't use this technique and I see where he went wrong. This is strange because he is a very good mechanic and has an excellent reputation.
But THANKS to this site and the people on it I think I have saved myself from chasing Ghosts in my engine. Not to mention spending loads of money replacing fine parts IE Cam.
So, now I'm wondering what kind of damage has been done to my valves. It's been about 2000 miles since the job. It's amazing that it has run as well as it has, but there has been a distinctive metallic clacking sound ever since then and I've had no mechanic think much of it. Now I know that was probably a valve contacting the piston ever so slightly. Thanks to the fact that I just had the valves adjusted prior to the chain job and that they were right on spec probably saved them further damage.
If indeed, the cam is one tooth off and the valves have hit the pistons, what does this mechanic owe me beyond fixing the cam timing for no cost? A complete Valve job?
I'm having another mechanic verify the cam timing before I go to this guy and point some fingers.
Well at any rate, I appreciate this site greatly and the help I've gained from it.
Thanks
Josh

previously-
73 280 SEL 4.5
86 300E 5 speed
2010 VW Jetta TDI M6