View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w123fanman View Post
DS9 is somewhat like Voyager then, most of the episodes tie in with each other. TNG has some cross links but nothing like DS9. I think one of the biggest problems with TOS is the lack of connection between the stories. That really stood out in an episode where they beamed to a planet and were wearing locators so the Enterprise could find them. In the series it was common for at least one person to go missing or be detained or something, but of course after that episode, they went back to having no locators.
I think that kind of thing became referred to as “YATI” for ‘yet another Trek inconsistency’ With a long running show a series of rules creeps in to help define the universe. Unfortunately that kind of thing can and often does get in the way of telling a story, so....

I haven’t seen the DS9 series for over a decade, but may start that one once Voyager wraps up. DS9 was fundamentally a different platform for Trek. In other Trek series, the crew always traveled and encountered the creature of the week, and in contrast, in DS9 the creature of the week nearly always came to DS9. That difference permitted several long term story lines and the growth of the individual became a key element by that time. It also ment that characters from other Trek shows would appear from time to time.

Of course, despite most events in most series, the central characters never changed very much over time. That part of plot development waited until very recently to become part of the story line. Shows such as House MD and Breaking Bad were notable both for great story telling and also because the key characters changed a lot over time. To that end, I remember reading recently that David Shore and Vince Gilligan are gonna do a series together ... which itself represents a major change in story telling for TV shows.