View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
When I bought this car the odo wasn't working. I took it apart and replaced a gear. It has been working fine for 6 months. I just noticed this weekend it is running too fast. It clocked 9.8 miles when my gps said 4.8. What could be causing this? Speedo is working correctly.

I did have a fuel line break and had to drive 90 miles with it spewing fuel on the side of the engine. I don't think there are any sensors that have to do with speed in that area though.
Fuel has nothing to do with odometer. The speedometer and odometer are completely separate items. They both however take a signal from the transmission and process it to provide the proper output. The fact that the speedometer is reading properly indicates that the signal is fine, so the problem is somewhere in the odometer. Logic would say it's the gears that are the problem since you just replaced the gears. If the odometer were reading low one might suspect gears slipping, but certainly not the other way, so presumably gears are OK. I think the odometer electronics are suspect...maybe bad caps as these are notorious as the cause of problems in the clock, cruise control, EGR and tach. The ratio you're seeing might lead one to believe that the odometer stepper motor is reading two pulses for every one the transmission VR sensor is putting out.

Other than that, I'm at a loss.

I'd be inclined to just go to the junk yard and source a new odometer module.

BTW which car is the one with the problem?
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica