View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 10:37 AM

100A altenator in my W124 300TE

Dave,

I didn't get the 115A altenator on January 1st - but some days later i bought a 100A altenator via ebay.de that looked exactly like the 100A on your photos.

The outside looks used but the inside is new. Maybe it layed somewhere in the corner for some time... I got i for 86Euro plus 6Euro p+p

Last Sunday I installed the new altenator that replaced my stock 70A one and made new wires from altenator B+ to the battery. Your writeup and the photos you took helped me a lot - thank you again.

I didn't need to change the pulley.

My old altenator behaved exactly like yours:

Quote:
Never got higher than 13.6-13.7 volts even under light load or no load. Under moderate load it drifted down to lower 13's, and at peak load it went below 12 volts (!) as the alternator simply could not put out the power.
The 100A fortunately does nearly the same than your 143A: 14.1V cold at idle, 13.8V warm at idle, not lower than 13.5V at idle even with full load I don't have a clamp meter so I can't messure the ampères...

I don't think that the voltage should be more than 14V in the system because that is the original design. The bulbs will go earlier with (lots of) more voltage as will do the other electrical and electronical componets.

The 100A is not as heavy as the 143, but it is heavier than the 70A of course. It spins easily and I don't think it will eat much additional power if no electrical power (output) is needed.

After all: It's a great improvement!

thank you again,
best regards,
bis denn,
Christian

1989 300TE