View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Thats GROSS weight. That includes the car + its maximum legally allowed payload.
Interesting, as that is no more than 800 pounds, put the stated payload is at least 1,000 pounds I.I.R.C. and had it way over that with a trailer. Not that it is a good idea every day...

Quote:
I really doubt the Squareback is safer than the MK2 golf in that video and that MK2 is a disaster in an offset frontal offset crash. The current "small overlap" crash tests where all the energy of the crash is concentrated into 20% of the car's front end are pure death even for many modern cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkX16uDkHm8
I would say for an early non-air bag equipped wasser Volkswagen be about the same for an air cooled. The difference and what makes an air cooled Volkswagen safe is not having the engine in front. What I have seen happen is the damage stops at the front suspension which is slightly forward of the cabin. You can search and see the same thing. I can see your point that in any vehicle focusing the energy to a small point significantly increases damage. I am sure most vehicles be a lost cause. To then say one is safer than another is a invaluable argument, right?

Quote:
I'm sorry you were involved in a couple of bad accidents but that doesn't disprove the thousands of well documented crash tests conducted over the past 40 years. With every new generation vehicle safety has consistently improved.
https://www.youtube.com/user/iihs/videos
Epidemiological data on real world mortality rates also backs this up.
The Federal government has rigged the tests so the air bags go off. In the real world they don't go off near as much. So how can the data not lie when the results are not real world? Or, are they? If so, where from? I just want to understand how death rate has reduced despite only slight improvements in safety.

In the end, in any severe accident most folks will not walk away and have a high chance for death. I rather drive something I enjoy and die happy then to drive one of these blobs with no personality and live miserable. I would figure most folks on here feel the same way, right?

You only have one day and live it to the fullest!

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.