View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 PM
User title not in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
Easy way to test the coils is to pull the plugs one by one and visually check the spark. You'll probably want to unplug the fuel pump or something so it doesn't start up on you, unless you're ok holding it while the engine misfires. Also if you do this make sure you are NOT the ground, those things kick. It's simple and crude but works.
Hm, OK. How do I make sure I'm not the ground?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
I wouldn't count out the alternator either, at low rpms it might now be giving enough electricity. Jooseppi try turning on and off some accessories when the car is doing it, see if there is any difference. Might not be enough to illuminate the battery ought.
I can try that, but the alternator was replaced maybe 5,000 miles ago by the PO (since the car had been sitting for a good while), so I'd be surprised if it's that, since the battery/alt made it great through single-digit starts this past winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
Pulling the wire off of each plug , in turn, of a running engine, is one way to check for spark
I did this many years ago when first screwing around with the engine on our lawnmower. YOW!
"Senior Luna, your sense of humor is still loco... but we love it, anyway." -rickymay ____ "Your sense of humor is still loco... " -MBeige ____ "Señor Luna, your sense of humor is quite järjetön" -Delibes

1982 300SD -- 211k, Texas car, tranny issues ____ 1979 240D 4-speed 234k -- turbo and tuned IP, third world taxi hot rod

2 Samuel 12:13: "David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."