View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 12:33 PM

Nothing better than a diesel sports car!

I like to think of an engine swap as a two step process.

Step 1 is Fitment - This is the process of getting the engine/transmission/driveshaft in the car with the proper clearances and support. If it won't fit, nothing else matters.

Step 2 is Hook Up - Once you know everything fits, it becomes a matter of hooking everything up one system at a time - fuel, exhaust, cooling, control, gauges, climate, electrical, smog, vacuum, etc. and of course the diesel specific stuff - glow, shutdown.

There are quite a number of swap threads that will become a wealth of knowledge to you in thinking through your project.

My own build thread (617->107) - 380SL Diesel Conversion Project

Toyota Pickup - My Official OM617 Toyota Pickup Repower Thread

Studebaker Pickup - 1939 Studebaker coupe express

S-10 - I'm Back! S-10 OM617 Project

606 -> 107 - Not "another" diesel 107!!

These threads probably won't answer your particular questions, but they will provide insight into what is involved and the thinking process used to solve the myriad problems that arise in doing a project.

Please take lots and lots of pictures and document your project for the benefit of others that come after.

Speaking personally, my project would have been an order of magnitude more difficult without the insight, suggestions, ideas and support of this forum.

Good luck.

Oh, and don't forget to ensure that you understand the legal/regulatory issues in your area as it applies to your project so you don't get it done and then not be able to drive it.
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica