View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM

Once the cab was in primer, (where it is now, still have to decide on a color) I went after the chassis. After tear down, the frame was stripped of paint, then sandblasted. As was the axle housing, and all new gearing, bearings and seals installed, changing the gearing to 4.93/1. Which should give a top speed of 80MPH. Not that I want to go that fast, but to be able to travel at 65MPH and only be turning 2500RPM's. The motor is a OM352A with only one hour of run time on it, what was in a snowblower powerpack that never sold. When I got it the paint was still on the turbo and exhaust manifold! The transmission is a factory rebuilt 16 speed out of one of the military SEE trucks. These transmissions have a 22% underdrive that is air activated by the shiftknob. With a larger turbo and intercooler, we estimate the HP to be about 225-240, which is 100 more than stock! Many parts are new, and if not they are rebuilt. Every little bracket is beadblasted, primed and repainted and new hardware is used to install. The headers are custom made here in shop, as is the exhaust system. Just about done with the chassis and will test fit the cab to make sure everything fits and install the intercooler and AC.
Attached Thumbnails
1980 Unimog Doka restoration-current25.jpg   1980 Unimog Doka restoration-current26.jpg   1980 Unimog Doka restoration-current28.jpg   1980 Unimog Doka restoration-current30.jpg   1980 Unimog Doka restoration-motorpainted1.jpg