View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 05:41 PM

exactly g-benz! Seems like the generation in which one becomes enamoured of a cars' qualities, um...err quality, tends to become the one for which all others that follow are compared.

I still believe 'they don't make 'em like they used to', but that isn't always a bad thing. Now, I will make exception to cheap interior materials, but I'm not expecting hand-cut panels of rare equatorial woods, or butter-soft leather from pampered cows, just the same high-quality with excellent fit and finish.

I do think some of the later-generation Benz's should be subject to such criticizm, but there is much to be said for their improved chassis dynamics, engine performance vs. economy, and safety as well. I see this daily since I drive two generations of Benz's that immediately followed one another. Ther definitely isn't as much steel in my W124, but the W123 can't hope to match the handling, agility of the W124. I'd say the interior materials are about equal - on the utilitarian side in the W123, but well-crafted and well built in both cars, with a long service life built-in.

Regards,
- Ryan
'77 300D - 'Red' 223kmi (sold)
'75 240D - 'Bianca the Blue Bomber' (sold)