View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 03:27 PM
MedMech

Quote:
Originally posted by MapleOne
That is an excellent quote, is it an original?
One of the best I have read in quite a while.
No it's an old american proverb.

This reminds me of a very famous episode of The Odd Couple when Tony Randall as the perfectionist Felix Unger character is giving a lecture in a court case about assumptions and how assumptions determine the way we see the world. The Felix character is a witness in the case and everybody thinks he is a being a pain in the butt as usual because he is such a persnickety perfectionist, contradicting what everyone else in the courtroom believes to be the obvious truth.

Taking a piece of chalk, Felix goes to a board that is set up next to the jury and writes the word "ASSUME" in large capital letters and then says in his snippy didactic way something like, you know we should never assume - let's just look at the origin of this word shall we, and then he starts to break the word up into its component parts, circling "ASS" and "U" and "ME".

Then he holds up his piece of chalk with a flourish and talks about how you should never assume, because when you assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME, and it is one of the funniest moments that ever came out of that TV show.