Thread: What Accent?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 03:39 PM
New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
If You

Don't all the unused Rs just enter the atmosphere, drift to the southwest and rain down in Texas, where they find their way into words like "wash?"

and as a side note . . . this is a little gem.

If You
I think it's kinda sad that we're losing regional accents. Even in central and northern Maine (A-yuh country), accents are pretty much limited to the old timers. Although there's no doubt that incorrect assumption are often made based on them.

There used to be a difference even within a small state such as CT. SW CT was NY-ish without being a NY accent and SE CT was RI-ish without being a RI accent. My wife is from the Housatonic River Valley in CT, and let's just say you can always tell when someone is from the valley. Central CT was the only part of the state without an accent!

My mom, who grew up in Stamford, threw R's into some words. Not real sure where they came from.

I suppose it's a combination of us getting more mixed and accentless voices on the radio, tv and internet.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)