View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 08:51 PM

Weird Serpentine Belt Issue 1987 300D

So, I noticed that my water pump was weeping and there was some bearing noise coming from that general area so I ordered the parts...(yes, from PeachParts and the experience was flawless and so were the parts). I got a belt locally, bought the water pump and a new tensioner pulley from PeachParts.

I took everything apart today and noticed that the old tensioner was grooved from wear so that was a good idea to buy in advance.

So, I reinstalled everything and I noticed that the belt was touching itself between the water pump pulley and crankshaft pulley.

I figured it would sort itself out when I reattached the tensioner spring and damper.

However, once I got the car back together and fired it up there was noticeable belt screech and I noticed the the lettering on the smooth side of the belt was wearing.

From a low rpm takeoff and when I accelerate the belt screams like the dickens and I'm pretty sure it's because it is touching itself where I described earlier.

I checked the diameter of the tensioner pulley and it was the same as the old one but the old one had a belt wide groove in its center lowering the working diameter.

Occasionally I would hear a belt screech before I replaced this one but never like this.

The old belt was fine but it came on the car and I've driven it forty thousand miles since I bought the car so I will carry it as my backup.

I'm positive I got the belt routing right but I noticed right away the belt would be rubbing itself.

Is this normal?

I guess eventually it will wear down but I don't want to weaken the belt from a loss of material and heat.

On a lighter note, I did notice that my temps were lower after fresh antifreeze and a new water pump.

By the looks of the old antifreeze I think it could have been pure, undiluted antifreeze.