View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 10:18 PM

Chronology of idiocy, this will serve as a cautionary tale.

For reasons unknown, but probably accident or damage replacements, one key opens the driver door and trunk, a second key opens the passenger door and glove compartment. Ignition went, so 3rd key now starts the car

Two years ago i locked the only extra key that opens the glove box IN the glove box, and then accidentally recycled that key i locked it with.

Flash forward to last winter, i had so much trouble unlocking the car with iceing in the lock that i unscrewed the plunger and left it unlocked all winter. When it got warmer i went back to locking it.

This year i just started doing that again with the removed plunger, so what happened is after a nice romantic meal with the wife, came out to the car, automatically went to unlock it and locked it instead, dropping the threaded rod below the door panel, where is fell to the side and could not come up.

I jimmied with it for a while and something inside the door snapped and fell in, now the lock turns as if open, but the door remains locked.

If you change locks, its worth changing all of them to the same key at the same time. This is a stupid avoidable building for years event.

Fortunately the place has a nice bar, so the wife had a cocktail while i struggled. I can still get in the trunk. Took a cab home and plan to deal in the AM