View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Total Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
I don't have a teacher certification, I'm working under a temp cert. I have two more tests, a year long course, and some sort of teacher test to take before I get my certification.

I'm not an English or math teacher, I'm industrial arts, a dying elective so its pretty hard to find those positions. Private schools are kind of sketchy to work at, in FL teachers at private schools do not have to be certified, the pay is usually lower, and they can fire you at the drop of the hat. I at least have to be certified and they can't fire me unless I do something incredibly stupid. I joined the union the first day just so I could have the $1 million liability on me since I have a full shop.

I'd like to get back into IT, it usually pays well and there is room to move up, I'd like to do desktop administration over help desk but im having a hard time finding one of those positions in the Orlando area. Orlando is mostly a tourist area and the tech jobs are out by the university or on the coasts, nothing in my immediate area. A friend of mine works for Dell and he works from home, he said they might be hiring soon for his team and he is keeping me in the loop

I don't know how the welding market is in Orlando as well. I should probably look
That sucks about how they treat private school teachers down there. I remember reading something about it a while ago because they treat university professors really badly too. Not too much love for educators.

I don't know anything about the market for welding, but why not keep applying in IT while you do whatever it is you decide? An acquaintance said this one thing to me though that's stuck with me: "You only need one 'yes'." It sounds as apt for IT as for tenure track jobs.
"You know, times are changing. Ladies can do stuff now and you're going to have to learn how to deal with it."
"What? Were you saying something? Look, I don't speak Spanish."