Thread: 1979 450 SLC
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Benz addict

If you are looking for a high price, the best venue is eBay.

Again, as mentioned above, detail the car to the nth degree, take lots of high resolution pictures, and include detail shots, not just vanity poses.

A serious buyer of one of these cars should know all the weak points.
Address those concerns with pictures or receipts.

Anyone with half a brain is going to be suspicious of a car in Michigan claiming to be rust free. Rust free can mean one thing to a salt state resident, it means something completely different to another who lives in say, Phoenix, AZ. Research common rust areas for R107 cars, and document your claim.

IMHO, your asking price is very dear. One can easily get emotionally involved with their car (it's normal), and place an abstract premium over and above the actual value of the car. This premium does not transfer over to the buyer of your car. Someday, the values on R107 cars will rise to your level, but I'm convinced due to the number of cars out there, and the current low interest in SLC models, that it will be quite while until the values approach your asking price. I always liked the quote from one of the Barrett-Jackson principals: "You can never pay too much for a car, but you can buy it to soon." One of my baselines when I decide to sell a car is to look at eBay's completed auctions. I consider this to be a good bellwether on where a buyer values the particular car. Asking prices are just that, not selling prices.... Price guides seem to be like jewelry appraisals, value is MUCH higher than actual sales prices support. Owners also tend to assign a higher level to the car than it really is, that is most pretty nice cars are fairly a condition 3, but the owner will unrealistically rate it as a condition 2 or 1.

I'm in no way calling you on any of your claims, indeed it looks like a very well kept example, but if you want to maximize your selling price you need to do a lot more to convince a potential buyer that the car is as you represent.

Similar to real estate and location, location, location, selling a very nice old car requires presentation, presentation, presentation. I used this methodology to sell my 85 280SL last year, and got a decent amount for it, but not near what the books thought the car was worth.... And it was a "rust free" car from Phoenix, AZ, but being in VA., I had to "prove" it.

Good luck!

Jim
85 300TD 4 spd man, euro bumpers and lights, 15" Pentas dark blue 274k miles