View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 02:47 PM

Anyone on this thread ever spent a day hot lapping a big race track with a stock 190E 2.6? I did - a day at the big Willow Springs 2.5 mile track in Southern California, and the brakes, even with the Repro pads were excellent.

I did not take it back, but not because of the brakes. The gearing is not well set up for the track and the suspension is too soft for the 80 and 100 MPH sweepers, which were somewhat bumpy at the time.

My Cosworth Vega and MR2 are much better suited for the track, and I didn't want to spend the time and money it would take to make the 2.6 fully track competent and probably screw up its comfort on normal roads.

It was much better at Firebird Raceway during 1992 Starfest, but that's a much slower speed track with mostly slow speed corners, which puts a premium on brakes, and, again, no problem with the OE brakes and Repco Deluxe pads.

So who has ever experienced brake fade on a 190E 2.6? And, BTW, 300E front brakes or anything else with larger/thicker rotors and larger calipers is going to add a lot more weight than can be conspensated by removing the sheet metal splash shields.

Duke