View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermang View Post
LOL... wow... in this ONE THREAD we have TWO people reporting excellent results... well... that should close the argument down immediately....LOL

So the bigger picture is still what I am saying makes this a bad idea overall...
You admit that the turbos you are using as examples are low boost....

On the turbo 617 factory installation you have high boost which gives a 50 percent increase in HP... from 80 to 120. and it has longevity due to those changes from the NA engines...

or maybe you will not agree that the longevity is DUE to those changes...

that it accidentally happened and that the factory did those things unnecessarily....

So logically.... you are advocating doing a lot of labor and some expense to a NA 240 engine which we can deduce that the OUTPUT will be less than a 50 percent increase in HP.....due to the lower boost pressure compared to the factory turbo...

So how much HP are you claiming these modifications make for the 240 engine...

and why would anyone think those labor and expenses were better acquired that way... than putting a stock NA 617 into the car ?

How many HP difference is there between the turboed 616 and a NA 617 ?
5 or 10 possibly ? and it not that you then have a fast car... you are still well under 100 HP....... having taken chances ,,,, depending on what mods you do,,, with the reliability of the engine... and surely affect the potential sales price downward if you want to sell it later...... because the vast majority of the old diesel MB fans think the factory did a fine job in the first place... and are going to take off points.... or flat walk away from conversions like you describe....
The turbo 617 factory does not have high boost. The whole stock 617 range is 5-12psi, which is not a high boost application. People adding turbos to 240s are using the 617 turbos, across the board it is a low boost turbo setup.

I consider 350k of operational experience useful information on the matter.

People do this because you keep the fuel economy of the 240 (for what it is), combined with the power in the right places to make the 240 engine much more usable as a daily driver.

I drove a 240 NA for years, its a good highway car and would do 70 all day. Where it needed a little extra oomph was acceleration, which is where the turbo would help.

The bigger picture is what? That anyone who has done this loves it? that resale value might be different? Are you aware of how many of these cars are 1k or less semi rusted old vehicles?
basically, why the heck not? I see no downside to a fun project. As a 240 owner yourself, im not sure why this wouldnt be interesting to you as something to watch.

Last edited by JB3; 02-08-2015 at 12:18 PM.