View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceristimo View Post
Hi DRK. Thanks for the advice. I saw in a how-to that you need like an open-ended box wrench to loosen up the lines.
Do you know if that kind of wrench has a special name to it? I tried finding a place to get one, but I don't really know what to search for...
If you are speaking of the Oil Cooler Lines that wrench is made by cuting out part of the Box End of a regular Combination Wrench and it shorter on the handle end.

On the Oil Filter End of the Hose you may also need to thin the Head of the 24mm (recheck the size) Wrench you use as a back up to hold the fittings between the Oil Filter Housing and the Hose Nut to keep them from turning. That is extrmely important when you tigen the Hose.

But back to the special Wrench for the Oil Cooler Hose Nuts. I bought a cheapie 1-1/6" (functionally the same as 27mm) Combination Wrench but never had the heart to cut it up. I ended up buying the 1-1/6" Crows Foot in the picture. I use that with a short 1/2" Drive Extension on a Breaker Bar and it works fine.
This particular Crows Foot is and Armstrong USA made and is over 1/2" thick. I got it on eBay.

The Short Extension allows room for you to use the Crows Foot on the lower Oil Cooler Hose Nut.
On the Oil Filter End you can use a longer Extension go get at the Hose Nut closest to the Block on the Oil Filter End.
Attached Thumbnails
Just bought an '84 W123 300D Turbo-crows-foot-oil-cooler-hose-w123.jpg