View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 09:34 PM

Gotta tell you...

Got my radiator from Wizard Cooling. That thing is a work of art. Solid, heavy, all nice clean even welds, no plastic. And a tad bit oversized, so that's a plus. I would definitely recommend purchasing from them - my shop had to do a bit of fabrication on hoses to get the fittings right, but not too bad. Still running hot, though - only at 100C, maybe 105 at most. Did a block check - no signs of a cracked exhaust gasket or head. Doing a coolant flush and fill tomorrow - and if that doesn't solve it, the only things remaining are water pump or blocked exhaust. I am leaning towards exhaust, because of a very annoying buzz/rattle at 1800 - 2000 rpms, and the fact that it only runs hot when on the highway. Running around town, under 35mph, it never gets over 87C. Get it over 35, and it shoots up to 100. On the highway at 75mph, 100... or slightly less. This car sat for almost ten years - so I'm thinking something crawled up in the exhaust and built a nest, or the system is just rusted out and plugged up. Good aftermarket shop nearby can put a nice new exhaust on it pretty cheaply - and if that don't fix it, water pump, and if THAT don't fix it, then we will pull the head. But I honestly don't think that's the cause - zero sign of exhaust gasses in the coolant and the system is tight. Wish me luck. Love this car - it's beautiful, a dream to drive, and with only just over 116K on the odometer, hoping I can get another 100,000 out of this horrible engine. No oil use, no smoke, nothing - runs like a gazelle - but the exhaust is pretty loud when she is cold, so that also leads me to think exhaust issue.