View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
As long as the Car is not moving a Photo Tachometer can do the job and they are faily cheap to buy and you can use it on anything (other vehicles) that rotates you can get the reflective Tape to stick to and have clear shot at with the beam of light.

But, that won't work if someone to drive the Car and check the rpms while doing that.

When an item is rented there is the rental cost and shipping back and forth. There is an Insurance cost if the item being shipped back is expensive enough for that.

We have more then a few People on the forum that dabble with electrical stuff. Perhaps you could sell the Plans or a kit for someone to assemble.
Yep, folks were using it for fans.

I too was thinking of a kit, but didn't want to be rude... I personally like making tools, especially if I know they will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsguy1 View Post
The non-contact tach that I linked to from Amazon is no doubt made in China. It is a perfectly adequate device, but nothing you are going to hand down to your kids as an inheritance.

As Diesel911 mentioned, you just put a little reflective tape (which they provide) on the crankshaft pulley and shine the light on it. I put the tape on 2 years ago, and it is still stuck there.
Thought so. I feel bad about buying from China, but $16, bet only $4 going there.

I can see how this be useful for tuning, but bet most folks only use it a handful of times.

I see that. Amazing it lasts that long. My pulley has green paint, as all I had on hand, and never again wanted to hunt for the torque converter drain bolt.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.