View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 07:40 AM
<--- The famed Diesel-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmalu View Post
Something in the ratcheting mechanisim gave up.

I n read that Sears would not replace the etched Sockets, think on this Forum a couple years ago.

I think Western Auto was bought out by...???

Charlie
We had Western Auto still when I was a kid, I loved that place but they didn't have the cool stuff they used to like guns and other non-automotive things. Still have a Western Auto/Joe Amato t-shirt somewhere! I miss the small shops that catered more to the DIY guys and garage hot rodders. We even used to have a Super Shops performance parts store!
Western Auto stores here all got bought out by Advance Auto Parts, which is the absolute last place i'd go for parts here.

I now prefer Autozone. Some of there Duralast tools are ok. Really the HF Pittsburgh and Pitts professional stuff ain't bad. Their "gearwrenches" are great!

The old Craftsman stuff & service for that matter was great but it's slid down the hill fast. I have always hated their ratchets but it wasn't too big of a deal when you used to hand the guy the broken one and he grabbed one off the shelf and you were on your way. I saw the plummet ahead when I got handed a "new replacement" ratchet that had hammer marks all over it. I ask, "What the hell is this?", he says, "oh we don't give out new ones anymore, only refurbished ones, if we have any on hand". I was not pleased, you buy the tool, you buy the guarantee too. And most the time the refurbished ones are terrible. I don't even bother anymore. Sad really. I have a pile of broke Crapsman ratchets at home. I use my old garage sale tools, like old Proto's and SK's at home. They actually hold up and work.

82' 300SD, parting out!
93' 300TE 4matic, parting out!
83' 240D Project Cheap Drive
89' 300E, parting out!
74' Datsun 510 wagon
88' RX7 10thAE, 13B track car build soon

Skippy~ As for perception: Drive what you like and can afford. Those who don't like it can supply vacuum to one of your components. LOL

If you need parts, I have some!