Thread: 1979 300SD
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 08:31 PM

I'd say for the most part, parts for these cars are very reasonable. Only big problem areas are HVAC and window regulators, which can be fixed but can cost a good amount of cash. Cosmetic parts can be expensive but that's really not an issue with this car.

Looking at the car, it looks nice. The exterior is in excellent shape. It may have been repainted but the chrome and more importantly the plastics of the lights are good too. If it was repainted, it was done well as evidenced by the door jams. Interior is not as great but it's not bad. It will clean up nicely and a few blemishes can be either left or you can replace the parts if you want to, such as the cracked wood. You could send that in somewhere to have it restored or buy a restored or good set off of ebay, will cost around $400. I personally would put the speaker covers back on if you can, it looks sorta bad to have those aftermarket speakers uncovered in the front

I do have the same concerns on rust and repairs as rob300SD. You should have a closer look, especially in the driver's door jam and the rear passenger side wheel well.

This car would qualify as condition 3 or 4 because of its miles but it's close to being a 3 just because the cosmetic shape very good. I'd say $5000-$5500 would be a good price but you should have them put the interior of the car back together, as well as get an estimate on the repair of the window regulator. If it is less than $150 or so, they should do that before selling the car to you. You can do the brakes and drive shaft work yourself if you have the tools needed. You can also regrease the sunroof yourself but you need to be careful to not get it on the headliner. That headliner could use some cleaning as well.

There are no pictures of the engine bay but also look in there as well. If it is not extremely clean besides the stated valve cover gasket leak, I'd knock the price down further.

As for diesel smoke, these do not smoke at all if they are properly tuned and the engine internals are good. How do I know that? My brother's 300SD with 150K on it does not smoke any, even on start up.

Also, I would not buy a 2006 Accord with $8k. I've driven my friend's 06 Accord and was not impressed. Sure it handles well, gets good fuel efficiency and is reliable but it was a terrible car to drive. The seats were terrible, though this was the base trim V6, I don't know if the other trims are any better. The interior is very bland and plastic. The terrible seats are made worse by the ride, which is very firm and not smooth. My other complaint would be throttle and brake response. Honda apparently couldn't make an electronically controlled car have good throttle or brake response because it feels like the throttle or brakes are either on or off, not much in between. They are incredibly touchy. You could probably get used to it but I didn't after driving it for 3 hours on a road trip, much of which was through city traffic. It does not respond like any other car I have driven, including other FWD cars.