View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 11:10 PM

Rebuilding a 1971 220D OM615.912 engine intermediate shaft bushing question

I am rebuilding a W115 1971 220D.
Car body is 1971 and used to be a 220 gas. The engine is in fact a 1973 220D
OM615.912 Block # 6150111301 arrow at B 26A 73. See fig. 1

fig. 1

I will try to create a thread with all pics and info some day. Here is what is going on currently:

The intermediate gear shaft for the injection pump and timer device has a lot of play. Reading throughout the internet, everyone says to replace the front brass bushing. Apparently vacuum pumps have been destroyed in other scenarios.

Mine appears to have play in the back bushing and front bushing.
6150520150 - rear bushing for intermediate shaft.

6170520106 - front bushing for intermediate shaft version 3
6150520106 - front bushing for intermediate shaft version 2
6210520106 - front bushing for intermediate shaft version 1

I already pressed the rear bushing out and will be ordering a replacement.
I am not convinced however that just replacing the front brass bushing will do as there is some wear in the actual bushing that is in the block (probably from all the movement it wore out). That bushing is supposedly non replaceable. It does however appear to me that it is pretty much the same bushing as the rear one except for the two oil holes.Has anyone noticed wear on that part before and better yet, has anyone replaced one of those before?

Notice the grooves in the block - I've looked at a few other pictures on the internet and they didn't have such grooves - appears like the chain was dragging. In the middle you see the bushing I believe needs to be replaced.

Here is another picture from a different angle and you can see the wear grooves in the actual bushing. when I run my finger trough, it seems pretty bad.

This is from the back (injection pump opening), and here you just see the cast iron and not the edge of the bushing. If it was the edge of the bushing, it would be pretty easy to push out.

So would a 6150520150 work to replace that bushing as well (granted I drill the two oil holes in it of course) ??