View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83w126 View Post
I did drain the torque converter too, and filled it with 7.75 quarts, which it what everything I could find said it should take, and shows full on the dipstick tool. I used shell ATF 134, and Mercedes filter, etc. The car does have somewhat high mileage but I looked at one with 380k when I was looking for this one and it still drove fine, so I figured it would be ok.

If the transmission is too worn out I am going to assume it will be a parts car when it does, this one isn't really in exceptional condition, and I haven't heard anything that makes me think rebuilding one of these transmissions will turn out well.
These transmissions are IMO fantastic, they shift beautifully and can handle a lot of torque. There are some downfalls in the earlier models (like you have), but when addressed with good repairs they come out perfect. Sonnax makes the replacements and also pressure control springs replacements - the torque converter clutches also wear down and now you can buy updated rebuilt torque converters which take care of the cold weather issues and also buzzing/shudder.

The later models have more heavy duty build (needle bearings inplace of bushings).

These trans can be rebuilt and they work very sweet after that. Infact its one of the easy transmissions to build.

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)