View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 10:58 AM

Visit a variety of mobile audio stores and bring samples of your favourite music. Have the salesmen play the music through a variety of HU/Speaker/Amplifier combinations to find what sounds best to your ears.

For head units, do you want it to be able to play MP3's? Have access to the XM band (cd quality radio, for around $10/mo, lots of channels), do you want fancy graphics, colours, etc. That should help narrow down your choice a fair bit.

For speakers get coax up front and midbass in the rear. High frequencies are directional, and destroy your soundstage if the sound is coming from behind you. One of the objectivies of a quality 'listening' system is that the sound appears to be coming from in front of you on an imaginary stage.

---

In my car I went with an Alpine 7894 head unit - I wanted mp3's and digital time correction (it can be set to make speakers farther away play the music a few milliseconds before the closer ones, to make it sound as if the music is coming from directly in front of you. This makes a big difference in the quality of sound), and I trust the Alpine name.

I went with MBQuart Discus speakers, because I liked the way they sounded, and they were within my budget.

I have a couple of 12" JBL's in the rear, simply because I had them left over from my teenage years when I was into rap and pop music. These days I much prefer the sounds of cool and bebop jazz. These speakers, each with a 300w amplifier, are more than capable of reproducing the low sounds of the era.

There are photos of my install in my sig. Not much else is there yet.