View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 AM

I've taken my Diesel SL on many road trips - three times to NC from CA, once to AR from CA and once to BC from CA. The car is essentially a 123 with 107 skins.

My road issues have been a failed voltage regulator, two flat tires within 150 miles of each other (improper valve stem installation) and a wheel bearing.

There are several threads about tool/spare parts kits to take with good info. Definitely take fuel filters, return line hose, belts, etc.

A good tip is to only stop at name brand truck stops for fuel. I've got about 75k miles on my current fuel filters as I'm meticulous about where I fuel up. Bad fuel can strand you.

The nice thing about these cars is that they generally fail gracefully. While things like timing chains, vacuum pumps, oil cooler hoses and the like can be catastrophic, most things will provide ample warning and allow you to "limp home" to a place you can get a part/repair.

Look at getting an upgrade to your AAA for the trip. Tows can get expensive quickly, especially out west.

Good luck...pictures are always nice.

Here are links to my road trip threads -

SL Diesel Road Trip

380SL Diesel Coast To Coast Road Trip

Diesel SL - Time for another Road Trip

SL Diesel - Another Coast to Coast Road Trip
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica

Last edited by mach4; 05-22-2015 at 09:45 AM.