View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 11:09 AM

Time For Performance Advise

Folks -
I've had a long running thread on "Diesel Discussion" on my build, an '85 OM617 in an S-10 pickup with an '83 240D 4 speed manual (aluminum case Getrag) behind it. The truck is ONLY used as a race truck, doing Land Speed Racing at the ECTA Ohio Mile in Wilmington OH (confusing as I live in Wilmington, NC). Anyhow, I have the truck up and running and have made a few passes with a best speed of 101.1918 - a track record (but I'm the only one to ever have run the class).

Just to introduce myself. I'm retired and have done MUCH Diesel dyno work in my work life along with some engine building though all of it was putting the engine back to stock then doing specific mods aimed at emissions reduction. So Diesel engine work is "old hat" but performance work on an OM617 is new.

The engine is fairly stock with new mains and rear seal. I have a set of Greazzer's "315" Monarch nozzles and a T03 compressor with trimmed wheels done by Tim's Turbos - Tim has experience with Diesels in LSR. I'm currently fitting a water-to-air intercooler which will run ice water.

Now it's time to get serious about the engine. I'm a bit low on cash as my build money has gone into getting Mutt (the truck's name) running so I'll have to recover a bit before I can do anything TOO expensive. I will have a Dieselmeken pump and other goodies eventually but in the meantime I'd like to get out of the engine whatever I can without driving over the crankshaft.

Please post your suggestions. Pretty sure I'll want to advance the IP timing a few degrees and maybe the cam timing as well. Any advice on this is more than welcome. Also any other tips that don't require a ton of money.

It's my habit to build the basic engine/chassis and then work the assembly up in power and performance. Clearly this build is no different!

Thanks

Dan