View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 10:18 AM

Dealer tried to pry my wallet open!!

I do all the maintenance on my cars, at least so far I've been able to accomplish that, often with input from this forum.

Well yesterday I went to the dealer to take advantage of their "complimentary" maintenance check. I figured that they would have some recommendations for work they would like to do, but I also was looking forward to having a pro check over my car and let me know what I might have missed.

So here were the things they found:

1. Injector pump leaking and needs to be replaced for $1800.
2. Valve cover leaking - needs a new gasket for $825.
3. Coolant leak - repair cost $580.
4. Alignment needed - cost $149. This one I believe because I got the printout that showed the numbers. Will likely do this at my other local dealer for just over $100.

IMO none of those things other than the alignment need to be attended to. There is some oil/fuel residue on the engine from previous fuel line leaks. My oil filler cap also leaks around the gasket - have tried everything to remedy that to no avail. Could it be caused by a clogged EGR valve building up engine pressure? There is some oil leakage around the EGR valve. Coolant was serviced not long ago. None of their reported leaks are bad enough to cause any residue on the noise encapsulation panels and none of them leak enough (or at all) for me to have to add any coolant or oil between services.

I feel sorry for the average Joe who might walk in and be nailed for these repairs.
'88 560SL 41,000 miles - totaled and parted out
https://sites.google.com/site/mercedesstuff/home
'99 E300 turbo 227,500 miles
'03 SLK320 40,000 miles - gave to my daughter
'14 Smart electric coupe 28,500 miles
'14 Smart electric cabriolet 28,500 miles
'15 Smart electric coupe 28,000 miles