View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 09:28 PM

Location: Cicero, Hamilton County, Indiana about 30 miles north of downtown Indianapolis
Well it is really not to difficult to figure out. All you have to do is follow one of the many threads of or on converting a diesel Benz from an automatic to a four or five speed. You just want to go the other way. But why. Your 190D most probably has a 5 speed and a fine balanced clutch. It is pretty free from problems, much more so at least then the older MB automatics, which really are slush boxes and are quite expensive to overhaul. Your fuel mileage will suffer quite a little in this exchange.
But there are other things one should consider. Do you have the complete transmission setup for this automatic. Pedal box, shifter and linkage, surely you have the proper flywheel for the automatic and you will probably need 12 new studs to attach the flywheel to the crankshaft and they are expensive at about $7.00 each. Then your drive shaft will probably have to be modified a little longer or shorter. Then also, transmission mounts can be greatly different and a real dandy to find used. Then you should consider the rear axle ratio. Will the gearing for the stick shift work well with the automatic. Often they do not. If you change the rear differential, then you should change the speedometer also. In my 10 years or so on the Forum this is the first time I have heard of a change in that direction. Really, what is your reason for wanting to do it?

1983 Mercedes W123 240D 4 Speed 285,000 on the road with a 617 turbo, beautiful butter yellow, license plate # 83 240D INDIANA

2003 Jaguar Type X, AWD. beautiful, good mileage,
Mom's car, but I won't let her drive it!