Thread: Dash Cam Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 11:13 PM

Software

Once you've got your prized video in raw form, it's time to process it and turn it into a work of art (read minimally acceptable video that's not embarrassing). There are tons of different options that will vary with computer platform, quality required, investment dollars available and on and on.

The goal is to define a repeatable work flow that will allow videos to be processed quickly and posted for others to enjoy.

My primary tools are DATAKAM - registrator player. This is a free utility that has the ability to join individual segments, delete overlap (most dashcams add a 1 second buffer to each segment to ensure no dropped frames) and integrate GPS data if desired. If I'm doing to work on a long segment I'll pre-process the segments with registrator player to end up with one long file with everything I want to work on.

My primary editor is Microsoft Movie Maker. It's chief benefit is, it's free and has a basic set of tools that can get me by. I used to work in Adobe Premiere, but can no longer afford it. I've also used an old version of Ulead and also Pinnacle. There is no right answer, just what you can make work for you....and afford...and works on your platform.

This is a topic that could take it's own forum, so that's about it to get things started and headed in a decent direction.
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica