View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
Depending on the company, many commercial vehicles never get washed. When run through the salt and into spring, the salt continues to hold moisture keeping rust going.

The only time the salt gets washed off is in a spring rain storm but that stirs up salt on the road so it might be a while until clear water washes the vehicle.

Also, rust typically starts out as a stone chip / sharp edge of a panel, no one is looking after the truck touching up paint.

And, a commercial vehicle is likely to wear out / fully depreciate before it rusts out.
Couple points- the sprinters specifically are notorious rust buckets above and beyond anything else and their doors rust out in the middle of the panels badly from inside it seems. Not stone chips.

Commercial vans are far more likely to rust out before they wear out, you have that in reverse.
We are talking some of the most reliable class of vehicles there are. Designed for punishing endless use.

When i was shopping for my commercial van i wanted a first gen sprinter, but their body rust is a real nightmare. Ended up going with an express, which has superior corrosion resistance in comparison.