View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhol View Post
Thanks for the perspective Scott. Just trying to get some thoughts as I go into this project. I will start visiting some shops and try to get a feel for them and what they are willing to do,
I'll probably end up on the conservative side on not get in over my head.
As for the two cars, the 115 came to my family when I was 3, I was given it at 16, so it has a lot of meaning. No question the fin is the more "interesting" car but oddly enough I get a lot more compliments on the 300D. Most people around here can't process the fin, seems like they've seen a UFO. The 300 is an easier car to use day in/day out but alas, the Jetta is a necessity in this day and age.
The 300D is certainly more economical to drive, but I'm not sure you are talking about putting a lot of miles on either so maybe it doesn't matter. The Fintail has more collection appeal. I like the Fintails because people think it's strange. But it's also quite comfortable and handles well and I love the 4 speed column shift. I don't love the gear ratios... (or I guess rear axle ratio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhol View Post
Any thoughts about the quality of water based paint versus oil? Hopefully I can go with oil based, should be possible in Missouri. Just how many MB's do you have?
I've been avoiding water based paint but that is mostly because I think it is new and probably not worked out yet. We currently have a 67 250SL (new paint, very nice driver, no rust, will never be a show car), a 63 220S (which was bought as an experiment to see if it's fun and it is, and easy to work on), a 65 300SE Lang (because it's LANG and super cool - it is not running and is a big project, but has no rust), and a 1971 280SE that I bought as a parts car because it came with $46,000 in receipts over the past 7 years / 20,000 miles including a $9000 engine rebuild and a $1500 injection pump. It is a complete rust bucket but a good parts car. It drives fine. Also an Alfa Duetto and an Alfa GTV 1973... and a 1993 BMW motorcycle. TOO MANY CARS!!!!

Former cars: 1967 250S, 1968 280S, 1985 300TD, 1971 250C, 1982 280CE euro, several 1981 300Ds that I bought for the aluminum wheels and then put bundt wheels on and sold immediately, a 1971 280 SEL that I sold within a week (just wanted a few parts and it was cheap), 1961 220S (as a parts car for the 1963 220s) And then lots of other strange non-MB cars...