View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
Nosir , I have not .

My '81 240D's water jacket was so bad , the chunks tore a HOLE in the water pump housing and it took me a LOT of Citric Acid flushing before it remained clean but that mild steel plug is indestructible unless you use a 12 point socket or open end wrench on it or other wise round it off .

As mentioned : you *might* need a short cheater handle on your 3/8" drive flex handle , I did the first time I took it out .

WHY are you keen to remove it ? .
I'm actually hesitant to remove it. Car has been running hotter than normal. I'm swapping out the t-stat. Haven't changed the coolant in the three years I've owned her and am about to drive it cross country. Thought it might be a good idea to drain and replace. I've got a 6-point 19mm socket (1/2" not 3/8") that looks like it will fit it nicely. I've got a 24" swivel breaker bar too, if needed.

I was thinking of draining and replacing the t-stat and fluid, rather than a flush. I've got an airlift system to get the air out and the fluid in. After the long drive, in a year or so, I'll probably do a proper citrus flush. Right now, with 2471 miles looming, anything plugged up may well be my friend. At least that's my thinking.

Thanks for your reply.