View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGAS View Post
Thnx folks, An infrared therm is next step. Z thank you for the info. The GP harness is brand new, ( original harness replaced) which I thought would cure the issue. Then there was the collapsing upper radiator hose. And then both two pin sensors were replaced. Only the four pin remains as factory.

Yet, there is no other evidence of a failed pump or thermostat. I beleive it all electrical. Temps were at over 100 when I got home. Upper hose was warm to touch, intake mani was still near cold! This morning after a five minute run, 120, but the upper rad hose wasn't even fully pressurized and intake still cold! AAAARRGH!

Good news is I have until next spring to fix it , replace the condensor and recharge the AC.

Given that the wiring harness is brand new, where would the short be? It does trigger the aux fans, which is why the brand new aux fans are now unplugged. This leads me to believe it's not the guage ground itself.

These old "simple" diesels are not so simple to diagnose, are they!?
the wiring to the 2 pin sensor to the back of the cylinder head is part of the main engine wiring harness not the glow plug harness.

If you remove the crossover pipe you will see a small wiring loom going from the main to the driver side of the car to a small square plug, that plug is where the temperature sensor for the gauge, the preglow and the 2 wire sensor at the very front of the cylinder head patch into the body wiring.

The round temperature sensor goes to the ELR and EGR control units behind the battery - bundled in the main engine wiring harness.

btw - the upper radiator hose collapsing is not anything to be alarmed of, its also proof that the system is airtight, the expansion tank cap requires some amount of negative pressure to open its relief valve. This can cause the hose to collapse. It did that on mine too, no problems at all.

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)