Thread: New 240D Owner
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Diesel Dandy

Thumbs up Hi Scott !

WELCOME ABOARD ! .

Don't worry about Jason , he's very helpful in fact and like me , has experience in older , past prime cars .

Everyone here is amazingly helpful and collectively knows everything about your lovely new 240D , I really like the color .

$1,500 for a decent runner is pretty good these days , take the time to tune it sharply and tinker the little niggly things as you drive it ~ they're not speed bombs but perfectly fine unless you simply cannot drive the open highway at or below 65 MPH ~ that's what beats the 240's to death .

The cool thing is : like your Spridget , it's well engineered and dead easy to fix using mostly basic tools .

Winter is nearly here so hurry up quick and buy (? make ?) the special valve adjustment wrenches and do the routine valve adjustment and check all four glow plugs , do a " diesel purge " and change the filters , buy a BIG bottle of " Power Service Diesel Kleen " in the white bottle : white for Winter , silver for Summer , use about 4 oz. of it oer fillup and always enjoy easier cold weather starting .

Tight valves and even one bad glow plug will make cold starting difficult to say the least .

Yes , you're going to put in more $ than you paid but you'll be driving it the entire time and hopefully loving it , I love my three W-123 chassis Mercedes diesels , oddly the slow pokey 240D best of the bunch .

Parts here too , new or used , just ASK first so you don't buy some crappy thing @ pep Boys .

I did then what I knew how to do ~ now that I know better I do better